Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Manja Pai

Manja Pai


Any mama over the age of 60 who is in a state of rest or in uniform linear motion will always carry a manja pai unless compelled by external forces to carry something else.

For long, I have tried to find out what is it with these manja pais that makes strong men gravitate towards them. It can't be their style; the Lord knows there are other bags that are far more attractive. It can't be their strength as any mama worth his salt will tell you that you cannot put more than 1 kilo of potatoes into it. It can't be their size because u can't put anything bigger than a Tughlaq magazine into it. On one side of the MP in pale red letters, there usually is an advertisement of Ganesh beedi or Ramco cement - definitely not a sight for sore eyes.

So what, in the name of everything ugly, makes these people take them along wherever they go?I've spent many sleepless nights trying to think of a plausible answer. But all in vain. I even tried asking my Ambi mama (everybody has an Ambi mama) since when he has owned his manja pai and why he keeps it. He gave me a dirty look and did not answer. This was some 5 years back. I've never asked anybody else about it since.
Never been able to screw up enough courage.

I guess it will always remain one of mankind's deeply guarded secrets.

1 comment:

bala said...

I am also searching answer for this :(