Friday, December 4, 2009

Have you seen God ?


Have you seen God ?
An cliched question asked by and of believers and non-believers alike. I had the opportunity of seeing God Himself in flesh and blood when I visited the Kanchi Mutt some 15-20 years back. Yes, you guessed it. I'm talking about the Maha Periyaval HH Chandrashekarendra Saraswathi.


He must have been into his nineties then. His health had deteriorated. To give darshan to the people, He used to be physically carried - chair and all - into the courtyard and placed there. That was the only time I saw Him.


Of course I did not know enough about Him then to treasure that moment. It was much later that I came to understand the true brilliance and the divinity of this individual. A pity really. But then, I suppose I need to look at it as half full. I'm lucky that I saw him that once.I won't even attempt to describe the greatness of HH. This piece is not about that. Not that I'm qualified enough ! I've read and heard enough about this great person that I'm convinced that He was God Himself.


A realised soul. May His grace be upon us all.

No comments: