Friday, April 27, 2007

In support of vegetarianism

As far as I'm concerned, there are just two kinds of people - vegetarians and non vegetarians. The latter are an overwhelming majority in this world. But the few who are vegetarians, remain so because of various reasons - religion, health, fear of Judgement Day retribution etc. But I am a vegetarian because of the simple reason that I abhor the idea of inflicting pain upon another animal just to sate my hunger. Also, my Brahminism has got nothing to do with my vegetarianism.
In other words, I'm veggie because I choose to be veggie; not because of religious compulsions.

But having said that, it is easier for children who are born into vegetarian households (as in my case) to adopt vegetarianism as a way of life as they grow up, than children whose parents eat meat. So I admire people (for whatever reason) who turn vegetarians. By extension, i cannot tolerate people (again, for whatever reason) who turn non-vegetarians.
Children who see a leg of mutton on their plate cannot comprehend that their dinner died a violent death. But that is not the case with people who take up meat-eating later on in their life. They are aware that the chicken had its throat slit and/or skinned alive. They know that great pain and misery was inflicted upon it. They just choose to ignore it or just don't care.

Personally, there is no way I'm letting my stomach become a graveyard for dead animals.

No comments: