Friday, April 27, 2007

Goodbye to fiction !

I'm done reading fiction. As much pleasure as reading Grisham, Archer, RK Narayan, Wodehouse gives me, I think it is time to move on. There is a treasure trove of autobiographies, biographies, World History, Political Science and religion literatures out there that is just waiting to be tapped.

So in line with this thinking, I've started with MK Gandhi's works. I finished reading his 'Indian Home Rule or Hind Swaraj' a few days back. I've started with his famous 'Experiments with Truth'. But I borrowed the book from the public library here in Charlotte and given that there is less than 3 weeks for me to leave the country for good, I'm not sure if i can finish it by then.
I don't know what suddenly made me realize that I need to start reading non-fiction, but I'm glad that something did.

But novels by authors like JHC, Wodehouse are addictive ! You can bet your last nickel that the temptation to go back to them will always be there ! And as the wag said, the best way to resist temptation is to give in to it ;)

But I'll be happy if, by and large, I can graduate to non-fiction.

It was Appa who was largely responsible for inculcating the reading habit in me. Thanks, Appa !

No comments: