Monday, October 18, 2010

Sydney Morning Herald - Unethical Journalism

While watching the live telecast of the CWG closing ceremony, I was idly browsing the site of the Sydney Morning Herald, a leading Australian English daily. The site was already uploaded with the pics of some of the events of the closing ceremony. Pretty cool, I thought. I clicked on the associated story. I was in for a shock.

It contained a detailed description of some of the events even as they were unfolding live in front of my eyes and of some events which were yet to start ! I rubbed my eyes in disbelief. How's this possible, I asked myself. It was only after a couple of minutes of double checking and cross verifying I realised what was actually happening.

SMH in its infinite wisdom chose to go by the closing ceremony itinerary it had in its possession and cook up a report with descriptions of individual events and run it on its site - no matter whether the events had actually happened or not !
Owing to the time difference, (Sydney is 5 hours plus ahead of India.) most Australians would have been sleeping when the report went online and hence wouldn't notice. I guess SMH reasoned that non-Australians wouldn't probably notice either.
Well, all I can say is they were wrong.

Unethical journalism, to say the least.

No comments: